The label on the hair care products contains the ingredients of the shampoo, conditioner and styling product. But we wonder how these ingredients help hair. Our beauty dictionary will help you find out what the listed ingredients can do for your hair.
Of course, you have seen the names aloe vera, macadamia oil or ceramides many times. However, what do these nourishing ingredients do? What is the effect of coenzyme Q10? What is shea butter made of? Why is zinc an ingredient in many anti-dandruff shampoos?
Today, cosmetics manufacturers use a long list of ingredients that should give our hair more shine, volume and health. Each year, researchers add more active ingredients that we will eventually find in tubes and containers. We will therefore continue to upgrade our small base of hair care ingredients. Here is the data we have collected so far for you:
Aloe vera (Aloe barbadensis)
The aloe vera plant is not just an ingredient in hair care products. People also consume aloe vera juice. The plant extract, loaded in vitamins, minerals and amino acids; gives hair moisture and soothes the scalp.
Apricot kernel oil (Prunus Armeniaca)
The oil contains many precious unsaturated fatty acids. It finds usage in hair care products to care for dry and exhausted hair. It also aids the structure of curly and unruly hair.
Some of the effects of carnitine are similar to the impact of vitamins; strengthens hair that weakens and protects against hair loss.
Ceramides are lipids; fill in the holes in the outer part of the hair cuticle. When added to a shampoo or conditioner, ceramides can repair broken hair.
Coenzyme Q10 (Ubiquinone)
Autologous essence (substance originating from one's own body); one of its effects is increasing the making of keratin, one of the hair builders. As an active element in hair care products such as shampoos and conditioners, coenzyme Q10 keeps the hair cuticle healthy; hair is shinier and more comfortable to comb.
Ginseng root extract (Panax Ginseng)
Ginseng root extract strengthens hair, helps protect against hair breakage and cracked ends.
Glycerol (also glycerin)
Glycerol is a beneficial ingredient that provides moisture. It finds it's usage in hair care products to hydrate dry hair and has an antistatic effect.
Jojoba oil (Buxus chinensis / Simondsia chinensis)
Jojoba oil is a plant wax that is well tolerated by the skin. The hair from it becomes smooth and easy to comb. Using jojoba lipoid will not create a heavy, greasy film on the hair, and its other significant effect is smoothing cracked ends.
Keratin (Hydrolysed Keratin)
Keratin is a protein, the primary builder of hair. Damage to the hair cuticles can lead to the loss of keratin. Eventually, this causes the hair to break. Keratin-containing hair care products can fill holes in hair cuticles.
Different Types of Protiens
Caffeine increases hair root activity and can even stimulate hair growth. It is mostly under usage in products to prevent hair loss.
The protein collagen is found in the skin and hair. It is an ingredient in many shampoos and hair care products because it coats the hair with a fragile protective film.
Panthenol is a substance that binds moisture and soothes and retains more water in the hair. It makes your hair look healthier.
Silk proteins (Hydrolysed Silk)
Silk proteins make hair shinier
Sesame oil (Sesamum indicum)
This oil contains a lot of linolenic acids which is known for its anti-inflammatory effect. Thus, this oil is ideal for sensitive thin hair and irritated scalp.
Silicone (e.g. Dimethicone)
Silicones are synthetic substances used in hair care products that form a protective film around the hair and smooth the hair cuticle, and the hair is more comfortable to comb and shine. They can also temporarily smooth out cracked tops and put that problem under control.
In medicine, zinc pyrithione is used as a remedy for psoriasis and eczema. It is also used hair care products like shampoos to prevent dandruff problems.
Ingredients for the Hair-Oil
The ingredients required for the hair-oil are:
Coconut Oil — 200 ml
Olive Oil — 100 ml
Almond Oil - 50 ml
Castor Oil - 30 ml
Red Hibiscus Leaves - 5
Fresh Amla Juice - 30 ml
Neem Leaves - 20
Bhringaraj (Eclipta Alba) Leaves - 10
All these ingredients have to be poured in a pan and boiled for 5 - 7 minutes for the leaves' substance to come out fully.
The goodness of the Ingredients
Red Hibiscus leaves - Many people are unaware of the enormous benefits of red Hibiscus leaves for the hair. This hair care product leaves cover the natural hair colour. They too condition the hair and make it soft.
- Amla (Indian Gooseberry or Phyllanthus Emblica ) - Amla helps prevent greying of hair. It makes the roots challenging and binds copper and iron essential minerals for healthy hair. Amla is a well off source of anti-oxidant and makes the hair healthy.
- Bhringaraj (Eclipta Alba) - Bhringaraj boosts hair growth and the growth of new hair. It is an ancient Ayurvedic recipe for India's hair. It has a weed-like flowering and is found in humid regions like India, China, Srilanka, Bangladesh, Indonesia and Nepal.
- Olive Oil - Olive oil prevents fungal infection or leafing in the scalp, thereby obstructing dandruff and prevents the DTH hormone production in the hair follicles that leads to hair fall. It prolongs hair life.
- Almond Oil - Almond oil is well off in nutrients and toughens the hair strands and prevents split - ends. It neutralizes dandruff and makes the hair soft and silky by providing moisture to the hair.
- Coconut Oil - Coconut Oil restores the hair's natural moisture, thereby, toughening each strand and making it soft. Coconut oil finds usage as the conventional natural treatment for dandruff in India since ages. A solution of coconut oil and lemon juice is the best natural treatment for a dandruff-free scalp.
- Neem Leaves - Neem leaves contain antioxidants and anti-bacterial properties that prevent fungal leafing on the scalp and maintain a healthy scalp for healthy hair.
- Castor Oil - Castor Oil is a hair care product stimulates hair growth. It boosts the development of new hair, and its thickness instils moisture to the hair. It is highly suggested for those with a receding hairline or a balding top of the head.